Hello there!! I’m so excited about today’s guest. I have been a HUGE fan of the books Entangled Publishing has been putting out right from their start last year. This week they’re launching a NEW paranormal imprint, Covet. Candace Havens has been publishing books, along with her many other pursuits, for some time, but is joining in the Covet launch with her new title, TAKE IT LIKE A VAMP. Below is the top secret trailer for the book (no spoilers, but lots to make you WANT the book, lol). And to help celebrate her release, Candace kindly took some time to answer our author questions.
1) When you write, do you prefer quiet, or do you listen to music? If you like music playing, what is your preferred genre? Do certain characters have their own personal “soundtrack”? Every book has a different soundtrack when I’m writing. Sometimes it takes me a while to find that groove, but when I find the right music for the book, everything seems to come together. When I’m editing, it’s a whole different story. The only albums I can listen to are Joss Stone.
2) Where do you write? In an office, at the dining room table, at a local coffeeshop? Do you prefer to write alone or with a group? If you write with a group, do you also read/critique each other’s work? I’ve had to teach myself to write anywhere since I travel a great deal. But I prefer my desk in my home office. That’s where I write the fastest. And that’s where I use the class I teach Fast Draft where you write a class in two weeks.
3) How do you prepare for release day? Are you calm and focused, or do you get stressed? Do you like to make promotional appearances or stay at home to watch lists and numbers? I’m usually working on the next project or two. When I started in the business, I did watch lists and numbers. But it was driving me insane. So now, if figure if something good is happening my publisher/editor/publicist/assistant will tell me. They are all good people and it’s great to have a team like that. I do a few book signings in town. Not so much for this one, since it’s an e-book. BUT on Monday at the 16th at 7 p.m. ET go to shindig.com/even/candace–havens where we are having a live event party. Doesn’t cost you a thing.
4) What was your favorite Halloween costume (or other costume party costume)? One year it rained on Halloween and none of the other kids went out. My dad dressed me like the Morton Salt girl, and people gave me giant bags of candy because they thought it was funny. Best costume ever. I also did a thing years ago where a bunch of friends and I velcroed small cereal boxes with a knife in them to our t-shirts. We were the Cereal Killers. (Smile)
5) If you could go anywhere on vacation (and not interfere with your deadlines), where would you go, and what 3 items (besides food and clothes) would you bring with you? I don’t take vacations. Ever. But I think about it a lot. Anywhere there is a beach and and waves to listen to would be great. Even better if I didn’t have to cook, clean or get on the computer at all. I went two days without Internet last weekend when I was at a writer’s conference and I nearly came unglued. (Smile)
6) What song best describes your life? If you can’t think of one, who would you want to write/perform a song just for you? Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. I’m going off the rails on a crazy train, sort of fits my life. Not so much the rest of the lyrics.
7) If you could spend a day with one of your characters, who would be it and what would you do all day? Nick from Take It Like A Vamp. That’s the latest book, I know. But he is sooooo hot. As long as he doesn’t bite me, it’s all good.
8) What world record would you love to set for the Guinness Book of World Records? (Remember, they take ALL KINDS of interesting talents into account. Some world records include *fastest 100m sprint, barefoot, on ice = 17.35 secs… *fastest pumpkin carving of a face = 24.03 secs… *longest distance pogo stick jumping = 23.11 miles) I’d like the set the record for writing the fastest novel ever.
9) If you could have one word removed from the English language, from all dictionaries and out of everyone’s vocabulary, what would it be, and why? If you could ADD one word, what would it be? I’d take out the word hate for obvious reasons. And I’d add the word amazeballs. I love that word. And maybe fantabulous.
10) What is one thing about you that your friends know and you would love your readers to know as well. Or… if you’re in a giving mood… what is one story that your friends LOVE to talk you into telling that you don’t generally volunteer? I get very excited about dumb things. Like sno-cones and pedicures. Like almost manic. They think it’s hilarious that it takes so little to please me.
Thank you, so much, to Candace for chatting with us the day before the big release. I can’t WAIT for Entangled’s Covet launch tomorrow. TAKE IT LIKE A VAMP will debut, along with two other titles… Jenna Bennett’s TALL, DARK and DIVINE, and DECEIVING THE WITCH NEXT DOOR by Melissa Bourbon Ramirez. Trust me, peeps… you don’t want to miss ANY of these titles!!