BODY MAGIC Blog Tour Q&A with Poppy Dennison
I’m so excited to be hosting Poppy Dennison today!!! She’s one of the contributors to the popular m/m fiction online serial, Boxer Falls: A Gaytime Drama, and will be one of the Featured Authors at Olde City, New Blood in February. I’m thrilled she’s stopping by today to introduce herself, and her newest release BODY MAGIC (Triad, #2).
It really depends on what scene I’m writing. Generally, I like quiet when I’m writing, but sometimes you need the music to fit the mood. In Body Magic, there’s a scene where the characters are listening to music. I had music playing the entire time I wrote it.
For the book I’m currently writing, a friend made me a soundtrack with some great alternative music that I wasn’t familiar with. It’s amazing how listening to this music has influenced the direction the book is taking!
2) Where do you write? In an office, at the dining room table, at a local coffeeshop? Do you prefer to write alone or with a group? If you write with a group, do you also read/critique each other’s work?
I have a home office where I write, and almost always write alone. Half the time, I even turn the phone off so I can’t be disturbed. There’s something really peaceful about closing the outside world out and delving into the world I’m writing.
3) How do you prepare for release day? Are you calm and focused, or do you get stressed? Do you like to make promotional appearances or stay at home to watch lists and numbers?
I like to pretend to be calm and focused, but I’m a total and complete basket case. I’ll own it. LOL. I’ve found the best thing for me to do on release day is write my next book. Otherwise, I obsess and that doesn’t do me one itsy bitsy bit of good.
4) What was your favorite Halloween costume (or other costume party costume)?
When I was a wee little Poppy, I had a Strawberry Shortcake costume. Oh, I also had a Little Orphan Annie one. Loved those. As an adult, a couple years ago I learned how to sew and I made my own gypsy costume. I am so stinking proud of that thing, I’ve worn it every year since!
5) If you could go anywhere on vacation (and not interfere with your deadlines), where would you go, and what 3 items (besides food and clothes) would you bring with you?
I love to travel, and one of the best things about my writing life is the other writers I’ve met and become friends with. So if I could go anywhere on vacation, I’d go visit one of them. In August, I met up with a great group of writers in Seattle and visited with two friends I’ve met writing. My next vacation, I’ll try to visit somewhere else. (Of course, the Seattle crew might want me to come back. We’ll see. They’re a feisty bunch!) Hmm, what three items would I bring? Well, if it were possible, I’d bring along three other friends. It’s the one bad thing about internet friendships…everyone is scattered so far away from each other, we’re all rarely in the same place!
6) What song best describes your life? If you can’t think of one, who would you want to write/perform a song just for you?
Frank Sinatra’s My Way. My favorite stanza is this one:
I’ve loved, I’ve laughed and cried I’ve had my fill, my share of losing And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing To think I did all that And may I say, not in a shy way, “Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way”
7) If you could spend a day with one of your characters, who would be it and what would you do all day?
Well, it’s not a super big secret that Garon is one of my favorite characters. In the Triad series, he’s alpha Gray’s ten year old son, and he’s based on one of my nephews. So I’d spend the day with him, and we’d probably go somewhere fun. You know, I’ve been wanting to take my nephew to the Harry Potter amusement park, so I bet Garon would like that as well.
8) What world record would you love to set for the Guinness Book of World Records? (Remember, they take ALL KINDS of interesting talents into account. Some world records include *fastest 100m sprint, barefoot, on ice = 17.35 secs… *fastest pumpkin carving of a face = 24.03 secs… *longest distance pogo stick jumping = 23.11 miles)
Oh that’s a super easy one. I would LOVE to set the world record for fastest editing in the whole world. *nods* Why? Because I’m currently the *slowest* in the whole world. LOL. I need to get better at that. I bet I’m pretty close to the “Most Coffee Consumed in One Day” world record already.
9) If you could have one word removed from the English language, from all dictionaries and out of everyone’s vocabulary, what would it be, and why? If you could ADD one word, what would it be?
Fine. Ugh, that word. It means absolutely nothing these days. “How are you? Fine.” Yeah, right. Drives me batty when you know someone is hurting but won’t answer, you know?
Hmm. If I could add a word, it would probably be a new type of magic for one of my books. I’ve created a few spells as it is, but they haven’t made it to the dictionary. Yet.
10) What is one thing about you that your friends know and you would love your readers to know as well. Or… if you’re in a giving mood… what is one story that your friends LOVE to talk you into telling that you don’t generally volunteer?
It’s probably not a big surprise that as a paranormal writer, I have a bit of an interest in the paranormal. My friends know that I’ve had a couple of mysterious encounters. Not too long ago, some friends and I were testing out an EVP recorder. It’s one of those radio devices that supposedly picks up the voices of spirits. Now, being a natural skeptic, I was doing a lot of snorting and eye-rolling as my friends asked some very serious questions and got no answers. So I decided to ask one. “What color are your pants?” And I kid you not, VERY CLEARLY we heard “BLACK”. I freaked out and no longer act like a goof ball when I’m watching those TV shows where they use that equipment! (I also refuse to allow any of that into my home, but that’s a story for another day.)
I’m with you on that, Poppy. I had a similar experience with friends using a Ouija board many, many years ago. I have serious issues with that kind of thing now. *shivers*
Ok… so we know a bit more about the author… let’s check out her newest title, BODY MAGIC.
A pack is only as strong as its weakest member. Rocky Harris knows how the system works. He’s been on the bottom rung his whole life. But when his alpha consigns him to the High Moon Pack to help them improve security, he finds his beliefs not just challenged but outright assaulted.
Cade Montgomery’s confidence took a hit when the pack’s cubs were kidnapped on his watch. He’s prepared to do anything to protect his family, even if it means working with Rocky. Maybe Cade doesn’t trust Rocky, but with the turmoil surrounding pack Alpha Gray’s unpopular decision to break tradition and mate with a mage named Simon, Cade knows more threats are coming.
Then someone declares war on shifters and puts the entire pack in danger. Cade and Rocky will need each other’s strengths to survive the impending battle—and the power of their growing attraction.
You can get BODY MAGIC, and the first book in the Triad Series, MIND MAGIC at Dreamspinner Press.