Hello there!! I’m so excited to be joining in my first ArmchairBEA event!! I love book conventions, I really, really do. Unfortunately, I can’t get to all of the awesome cons out there every year, there’s just not enough time or money to pull that off. I generally stalk my twitterfeed, looking for comments from those who are lucky enough to go to whatever the current event is.
BEA (Book Expo America) happens in New York City every year, and is a premiere event for checking out some of the newest bestsellers, and a sneak peek at the awesome books coming out soon. It’s a book reader’s dream con, and I always miss it. A few years ago, however, some ingenious people created ArmchairBEA, a way for those of us unable to get to NYC, could still participate in the celebration. There are twitter, blog, and Facebook activities included, from May 28th – June 2nd. You can check out the complete schedule and participating bloggers list at the ArmchairBEA website, HERE.
Today, I’m introducing myself to the group…
- Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?
- My name is Jennifer, and I started this blog in February, 2010. I’m a manager at my local Books-A-Million and I run my own UF/PNR book club (started Feb 2009). Last year I took the plunge into convention planning. Olde City, New Blood was my first event (in St. Augustine, FL). This year’s event (and hopefully annually) is Coastal Magic Convention, in Daytona Beach. I got into blogging because I LOVED talking about my favorite books, and my book club only met once every two weeks!! Also, with the advent of Twitter, I kept finding new books, and new authors, to read and chat about.
- Where in the world are you blogging from? Tell a random fact or something special about your current location. Feel free to share pictures.
- Have you previously participated in Armchair BEA? What brought you back for another year? If you have not previously participated, what drew you to the event?
- This is my first year participating in ArmchairBEA. I love the idea of the blogging community replicating the con, and opportunity to connect with others who have the same passion for reading and sharing.
- What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2013?
- I’m about to start Menna Van Praag’s THE HOUSE AT THE END OF HOPE STREET. It’s a magical realism piece, recommended by one of my all time favorite authors, Sarah Addison Allen. Not quite the hardcore UF/PNR that I also love, but I have a special place in my heart for sweet, magical realism.
- Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.
- I collect hourglasses and gnomes. 🙂 They make me happy
- What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?
- The “Sanctuary”, oasis mentioned in Karina Cooper’s Dark Mission novels. It just sounds heavenly. (I’m sure there are others, this was just the first that came to mind.)
- What is your favorite part about the book blogging community?
- The connections with authors and other bloggers. Talking about the books we love, and things that are happening in our lives.
Thank you, to the organizers of ArmchairBEA, for the opportunity to do this. I’m so excited for this week!!