Hi everyone!!! I had some crazy going on last week, and didn’t get a Words & Music Monday posted, but we’re back on track this week. Debut author Brigid Kemmerer’s YA novel STORM comes out tomorrow, and today she’s starting her blog tour. You can check here for the complete schedule. (We’re not on her official tour, but she was kind enough to make some time for us with all HER crazy going on!) Here’s some musical info to get you ready for tomorrow’s release…
Music is a big part of my writing. If I don’t have headphones plugged in, I can’t write. I’ve tried listening to instrumental songs while writing, and I churned out some of the worst scenes I’ve ever written. I know some people can’t write while listening to songs with lyrics, but maybe I need something to steal the reasoning corner of my brain so I can get the good stuff down on paper.
The Elemental Series Playlist
- Something Beautiful by NeedToBreathe – This song is the theme song for The Elemental Series. Any time I need inspiration for a book, I start with this song. Not only does it name all the elements (water, earth, air, fire), but it’s a song about finding your place in this world and finding someone to share it with.
- Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes featuring Adam Levine – This is one of the sweetest songs I’ve ever heard. It’s fun, and funky, and perfectly suits the Merrick brothers. I’m a big fan of clever lyrics and songs that make me giddy, and this fits the bill for both.
- Good Feeling by Flo Rida – This song just makes me want to dance and gets my pulse going. Great backdrop for the action scenes.
- Without You by David Guetta featuring Usher – Another romantic song that makes me swoon. It’s intense and sensual with a heart pounding beat. If I’m having trouble starting a scene, this is one of my go-to songs.
- Love Bites by Def Leppard – This is one of my favorite songs of all time, because it perfectly captures the pain of first love. The angst is palpable.
- Your Guardian Angel by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus – This song is a power ballad (I’m a sucker for power ballads). And the guy who sings it is hot. (Hey, don’t judge. I might be married, but I have eyes.)
- Mean by Taylor Swift – This song is all about standing up to bullies—and I must have listened to it on repeat about a hundred times while writing Storm.
- You’re Gonna Go Far Kid by The Offspring – This song is angry and intense and challenging and is exactly the kind of thing I’d expect the Merrick brothers to listen to.
There are hundreds (thousands) of other songs in my iTunes queue, but these are some of my all time favorites. Did I leave anything out? I’d love to hear from your blog readers if they have any suggestions for me. I obviously have eclectic taste, and I’ll listen to just about anything.
Brigid Kemmerer is the author of Storm: Book 1 of The Elemental Series, available April 24 from K Teen, an imprint of Kensington Books. You can visit her website at www.brigidkemmerer.com.
If you want to check out how the Elemental Series begins before STORM releases tomorrow, you can download the prequel novella ELEMENTAL for FREE, for a limited time, from Barnes & Noble and other online retailers
To add STORM to your “To Read” list on GoodReads.com, just click the cover to go to it’s page there.
BIG thanks to Brigid for sharing her playlist with us today. So… who wants to win a copy of STORM?? Comment below with your thoughts on the STORM playlist… how excited you are for the book… or just to say HI and “welome to the YA book world” to Brigid. She’ll be peeking in from time to time to respond and answer any questions you may have. Each commenter will be entered to win a copy of STORM. Winner will be chosen at random at midnight pacific time, tonight. Winner will be notified by email and will have 7 days to respond. GOOD LUCK everyone!!