I’m so excited to bring you this Q&A. If you haven’t stepped into Deadglass world Seattle, you’re missing out. There has been one novella (HEARTS OF FIRE) to introduce us to the shifter races and history, and the first full novel in the series (HEARTS OF DARKNESS) releases TOMORROW!!! In honor of her debut, and as a part of her first blog tour, here’s a little about the author of the Deadglass Trilogy, Kira Brady. AND… in this post, we get a bit of Words & Music Monday, as well… as Kira shares a few of the songs that inspired some of her writing so far.
I think I wrote most of Hearts of Darkness listening to Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Moby, and other bands that put me in a dark, anxty headspace. Hart’s songs were Uprising by Muse and Bullet With Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins. The short playlist for the book also had Nirvana’s Lake of Fire and some other 90s Seattle Grunge. Kayla’s more of an Adele and Feist sort of girl. These days I don’t listen to much music when I’m putting words on the page because the lyrics are distracting.
2) Where do you write? In an office, at the dining room table, at a local coffeeshop? Do you prefer to write alone or with a group? If you write with a group, do you also read/critique each other’s work?
I have a home office where I do most of my writing, though I sometimes move my laptop to other places in the house to get a change of scenery. I used to meet my critique partner at Essential Bakery to write, but she just moved to California. *sob* We’ve been working together since I first started writing and our process has evolved. We’re pretty good friends, so we understand where the other person is coming from and what help they need. It’s so relaxing to plot with someone who understands me without me having to explain too much! We’ve started plotting/brainstorming together and then exchanging pages after a good chunk of the book is written to make sure we’re still on track. I also have her read my work when I’m finished before I send it to my editor. I love working with her. We also celebrate our successes with afternoon tea.
3) How do you prepare for release day? Are you calm and focused, or do you get stressed? Do you like to make promotional appearances or stay at home to watch lists and numbers?
Tuesday is my very first release day! I feel a little behind on everything, so I’m frantically trying to write blog posts and get food together for my launch party on Friday. I probably won’t have any time to sit in front of my computer and watch numbers. That would make me crazy anyway. I’m a firm believer in the idea that writing the best book I can write is the best marketing I can do. Then write another one. I’m excited for my launch party though. It’s at the local bookstore where I’ve shopped since I was little. They’ve already decorated a whole window with my books!
4) What was your favorite Halloween costume (or other costume party costume)?
Halloween was always my favorite holiday because it involved costumes. I was Peter Pan for many years, and once dressed up all the kids on my block as characters from the book for the Wallingford Kiddies Parade. We won third place! There have been a lot of great Halloween costumes; I provided artistic direction and my mother magically sewed them. The best was probably the year my cousin and I were a two-headed monster.
5) If you could go anywhere on vacation (and not interfere with your deadlines), where would you go, and what 3 items (besides food and clothes) would you bring with you?
Wait, vacation shouldn’t interfere with deadlines?? I actually just returned from an awesome four week trip to Europe that included Edinburgh, the Isle of Skye, Brussels, Paris, and Chamonix. Now that I’ve done Europe, I’d like to hike the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. I’d have to bring a camera, a journal, and my kindle (assuming this time it doesn’t break as soon as I arrive on vacation!).
6) What song best describes your life? If you can’t think of one, who would you want to write/perform a song just for you?
I’m going to have to go with “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” from Cinderella.
7) If you could spend a day with one of your characters, who would be it and what would you do all day?
Grace Mercer, the mercenary zombie hunter. I’d make her teach me to fight. I’ve always wanted to learn.
8) What world record would you love to set for the Guinness Book of World Records? (Remember, they take ALL KINDS of interesting talents into account. Some world records include *fastest 100m sprint, barefoot, on ice = 17.35 secs… *fastest pumpkin carving of a face = 24.03 secs… *longest distance pogo stick jumping = 23.11 miles)
Fastest knitted lace sweater. I love to knit, but it takes so long to finish anything.
9) If you could have one word removed from the English language, from all dictionaries and out of everyone’s vocabulary, what would it be, and why? If you could ADD one word, what would it be?
Slut. It’s demeaning to women. I’d add Deadglass = a device allowing the user to see beyond the mundane into the possible.
10) What is one thing about you that your friends know and you would love your readers to know as well. Or… if you’re in a giving mood… what is one story that your friends LOVE to talk you into telling that you don’t generally volunteer?
I can kick your ass in Disney Trivia. Mr Kira beat me once. Reader, I married him.
****SO… who wants to give Kira a run for her money??? Comment below for a chance to win a copy of the Deadglass prequel novella HEARTS OF FIRE (ebook format). Anyone who’s comment is a Disney trivia question gets a second entry into the drawing!!**** Contest ends tomorrow night, Tuesday, at midnight pacific. Winner will be chosen randomly from all entries. Good luck!!!