Today we have a whole lotta amazingness going on!!! Shannon K Butcher’s 5th book in the Sentinel Wars series, Blood Hunt, is releasing AND she was nice enough to fit our author questionnaire into her busy release day schedule. (You can check out my non-spoilery review of BLOOD HUNT on MamaKitty Reviews, where I’m guest posting this week.)
Here’s a little about Shannon… and check below for a chance to win an autographed copy of Blood Hunt!!!
1) When you write, do you prefer quiet, or do you listen to music? If you like music playing, what is your preferred genre? Do certain characters have their own personal “soundtrack”?
I find music to be incredibly inspirational because of its heavy emotional component, but sadly, I can’t write to it. I like to write in silence, and if I can’t find that, then I have several hours of recorded thunderstorms that I use to block out the rest of the world.
Occasionally a song will jump out at me as being a sort of theme song for a book or character (Savior by Rise Against for LIVING
NIGHTMARE, and Monster by Skillet for DYING WISH both come to mind), but that’s fairly rare. Mostly it’s just how the music makes me feel that inspires me.
2) Where do you write? In an office, at the dining room table, at a local coffeeshop? Do you prefer to write alone or with a group? If you write with a group, do you also read/critique each other’s work?
I write at home in my office or in my favorite chair looking out at the woods behind our house. Once I’m in the midst of a story, I have enough voices in my head, so I do like to be alone when I work. I tend to write while my husband is asleep as much as possible, with just the dog to keep me company. He’s quiet, so he gets a pass.
I do have a small group of beta readers who help catch the stupid mistakes I make, and I don’t know what I’d do without them. I hope I never have to find out.
3) How do you prepare for release day? Are you calm and focused, or do you get stressed? Do you like to make promotional appearances or stay at home to watch lists and numbers?
While I’m still giddy every time a new book comes out, I’m usually too busy working on the next project that’s due to spend much
time worrying about any upcoming release. I figure by the time the book comes out, I’ve done all I can, so I might as well sit back and enjoy it. And if I don’t focus on whatever I’m currently working on, then by the time that book comes out, I will have something to worry about.
The best part of any release is that I can finally talk about the book with readers. I tend to think of it as a sort of birthday, and spend it hanging out online and chatting with folks whenever I’m not travelling.
4) What was your favorite Halloween costume (or other costume party costume)?
I dressed up as winter last year at RomCon, and that was a blast! I went with three other friends who dressed up as the other seasons, and we had a ton of fun planning and making the costumes.
5) If you could go anywhere on vacation (and not interfere with your deadlines), where would you go, and what 3 items (besides food and clothes) would you bring with you?
Honestly, I’d stay home. I love to be home and play with my beads, fabric and thread. I know that’s boring, but that’s the manner in which I choose to roll.
6) What song best describes your life? If you can’t think of one, who would you want to write/perform a song just for you?
I have no idea what song I’d pick, but Hugh Jackman could sing any song he wanted to me. I don’t even care if he can carry a tune.
7) If you could spend a day with one of your characters, who would be it and what would you do all day?
I’d never hang out with those people. They have way too much bad luck and get into way too much trouble. I don’t want to be
anywhere near the things they have to face. I like my nice, quiet, boring life.
8 ) What world record would you love to set for the Guinness Book of World Records? (Remember, they take ALL KINDS of interesting talents into account. Some world records include *fastest 100m sprint barefoot, on ice = 17.35 secs… *fastest pumpkin carving of a face = 24.03 secs… *longest distance pogo stick jumping = 23.11 miles)
It is my greatest wish to possess the world’s largest bead collection.
9) If you could have one word removed from the English language, from all dictionaries and out of everyone’s vocabulary, what would it be, and why? If you could ADD one word, what would it be?
I would remove “fart”. I absolutely hate that word, and can barely bring myself to type it. I would add “asshattery” to describe
acts done by asshats.
10) What is one thing about you that your friends know and you would love your readers to know as well. Or… if you’re in a giving mood… what is one story that your friends LOVE to talk you into telling that you don’t generally volunteer?
Some of you may have already guessed this, but I’m a bead whore. Any bead. Anywhere. Any time. It’s shameful, really. My happy
thing is a giant bowl full of mixed beads that need to be sorted and organized.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Shannon… I really appreciate you taking time to answer my questions Now… my lovely readers… it’s YOUR turn. Shannon will be stopping in from time to time today to read comments and answer any questions you have about BLOOD HUNT, the rest of her amazing books, or whatever pops into your lovely heads. (Within reason, of course, lol.) One lucky commenter/questioner (chosen randomly) will win an AUTOGRAPHED copy of BLOOD HUNT!!! Please remember to leave your first name and email address in your comment so I can notify you if you win. (Want an extra chance to win? Leave a comment on my Blood Hunt review at MamaKitty Reviews, then post the link below!) Good Luck, everyone!!